Review of "Divergent" by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Genre: YA/Dystopian

Page Count: 487

Synopsis: This story takes place in the city of Chicago in the near future. The city is divided into 5 factions: Abnegation, meant for the selfless; Amity, meant for the peaceful; Candor, meant for the honest; Dauntless, meant for the brave; and Erudite, meant for the knowledgeable. On a given day each year, all sixteen-year-olds take an aptitude test that will tell them for which faction they are best suited. After receiving the results of their test, they must decide whether to remain with their family or transfer to a new faction."

Review: I've read Divergent twice since it came out and have enjoyed it more each time. The story is gripping and the first time I read it I stayed up until two in the morning since I simply had to know what happened. It never gets boring and the writing is fantastic. You can tell that Veronica Roth spent a lot of time working on and perfecting this novel because it's so well written. The chapters aren't too long and they definitely aren't way too short, which some books have a problem with. 

The main character, Beatrice "Tris" Prior, is interesting and unique without being unrealistic. I found myself relating to Tris a lot even though there is no way that I would ever be in Dauntless. Four is alright as a character and he sounds hot, but I liked the Dauntless-born initiates a lot. Uriah, Marlene, and Lynn made the story for me and were very entertaining. 


I'd say that Divergent is a must read (and re-read) especially since the movie is coming out so soon. It doesn't take long to read and is just under 500 pages. 


Review:






Comments

Popular Posts