Heartless by Marissa Meyer | Book Review

Image result for heartless by marissa meyer

4 STARS

Heartless tells the story of how the Queen of Hearts became the villain we all love to hate in Alice in Wonderland. It starts with Catherine, a noble lady in Hearts, as she tries to avoid a marriage proposal from the bumbling King of Hearts and achieve her dream of opening a bakery. However, her life begins to go off course when she meets Jest.

Jest, the King’s fool who is far more clever than the king he serves, sweeps Catherine off her feet. But since we all know how this end story ends, it is not happily ever after for the two of them. I still enjoyed the relationship between the two of them as well as the story as a whole.

The Queen of Hearts has always been one of those villains I enjoy reading about so this book appealed to me from the start. Even though I found the beginning of the book to be rather slow, the wackiness of Wonderland was still enjoyable. The side characters were all so interesting and I wish there had been more about Chess in the book, but I suppose there are limitations when there is an established ending.

Overall, I really liked this book but the slow start was frustrating. I love Marissa Meyer’s writing and adored her Lunar Chronicles series so I had high hopes for this. For the most part, those were met.



Comments

Popular Posts