"A Torch Against the Night" by Sabaa Tahir | Book Review

25558608

Elias and Laia are running for their lives. After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake the perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.

Laia is determined to break into Kauf - the Empire's most secure and dangerous prison - to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars' survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom.

But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene - Elias's former friend and the Empire's newest Blood Shrike.

Bound to Marcus's will, Hele faces a torturous mission of her own - one that might destroy her: find the trait Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape...and kill them.

I LOVE THIS BOOK

Nobody can do suspense and raise the stakes like Sabaa Tahir. This book was such a thrill ride and there were times I seriously thought "how are they going to get out of this?" But that's the magic of this series, impossible situations, an expertly woven story that becomes more complex as it goes and characters it's so easy to become connected to. Simply a fabulous book.

It was just the perfect sequel. I was expecting some of the things that happened but there were plenty of surprises, too. All the things I loved from An Ember in the Ashes were there and I am obsessed with how this story is evolving.

Just like the first book, I loved Laia! I know many people love to hate on her because she's not the typical YA heroine and she's not the "kick ass and take names" type. That's why I like her so much. Laia's reactions to violence and genocide are so real. While she has to tough through, she's appropriately horrified by horrifying things. After all, she's not a Mask and is not trained for this.

Speaking of Masks, Helene has slowly wormed her way into becoming one of my favorites. I love her story line as Blood Shrike and how she's growing as a character. It makes me really excited for the next book since I don't know how things are going to work out. I get the feeling she has a big role to play.

As for changing roles, I can't say much about Elias without spoilers, but wow that ending! I still don't know how I feel about it and I probably won't until I read Reaper at the Gates. 

This book left me wanting more and I cannot wait to get my hands on Reaper. So hats off to Sabaa Tahir for writing one of my new favorite books and crafting incredible stories.

Rating: 5 stars


Comments

Popular Posts